Tableau Server Kerberos SSO setup

I have recently had to setup SSO with Kerberos on Tableau Server 9.0 and discovered that there is one step that is missing from otherwise fairly straight forward process.

I discovered it when I got following error after completing the setup outlined in administrator guide

After doing a fiddler trace I have found that when Kerberos ticket is being passed to Tableau server I am getting HTTP 400 (BAD REQUEST) error.  What this means in our case is that HTTP header is getting cut off by the web server because its size exceeds what it can accept. This is fairly common scenario with Kerberos because the ticket is fairly lengthy.

After digging through online help I have found no mention of increasing MAX HTTP HEADER size anywhere and none of the SSO setup guides mentioned anything about it.

So I ended up pinging Tableau folks and explaining the issue to them. It turned out that it is exactly what I suspected – bad request due to HTTP request getting cut off and they have provided following TABADMIN commands that you should run at any point during Kerberos SSO setup:

open command line and navigate to %your server install location%\9.0\bin\

tabadmin set gateway.http.request_size_limit 32768

tabadmin set tomcat.http.maxrequestsize 32768

 

However, I would recommend setting the value to 65536 to be on a safe side. So:

tabadmin set gateway.http.request_size_limit 65536

tabadmin set tomcat.http.maxrequestsize 65536

 

Don’t forget to run tabadmin restart command after you run these for the changes to take effect.

 

Good luck!

 

Adding custom column delimiter characters to CSV export options to WEBI

Recently I have run into needing to add more column delimiter options to CSV export in WEBI.

By default, it only has comma, semicolon and TAB as you can see in the screenshot below

Default CSV separators

After digging through some documents and searching around I didn’t find any official SAP solution to this and decided to take matters into my own hands and after fairly short search found the place where this setting is stored.

It is located in file called webiviewer.properties

There are a couple of copies of this file sprinkled around BO install, but we should only concern ourselves with ones located under webapps directory. All of the copies are identical and for simplicity and consistency sake we’ll change all of them.

Now to the procedure,

  • Stop SIA and Tomcat
  • Open all of the webiviewer.properties files you can find under webapps directory.
  • Locate following code:
    Code
  • Add your character(s) as per instructions in comments. Apply this change to all webiviewer.properties files in exact same way.
  • Save all of the files
  • Delete tomcat cache (Files located in Tomcat(#)/work/Catalina/localhost directory)
  • Start SIA and Tomcat.
  • Voila! In my case I’ve added a pipe character.
    Pipe added

This applies to both BO XI R4.0 and R3.1